The role of the critic has been rapidly changing in the last few decades. From a connoisseur of taste, s/he is becoming a promoter of art discourse and an agent to positioning the arts in societal or political contexts. More and more detached from art history, the purpose of art criticism evolves from dictating to breaking the threshold of taste camps. As sociology and cultural studies languages are introduced to art criticism, the art reviewed by art critics have further bearings on the society as a whole.
By introducing a few influential art critics and their propositions, this lecture series looks at how some of the major western art critics in the 20th and 21st centuries have played the roles of vanguards and defenders of artistic trends, such as:
• The connoisseur of taste
• The philosophy of art
• ‘Curatorial turn’
• Promoter of new art trends
Writings of critics/ art historians, including Clement Greenberg, Arthur Danto, Harald Szeemann, Boris Groys, Nato Thompson, Claire Bishop, and Kester Grant will be studied during class for a better understanding of their line of thoughts.
This lecture series will give an overview to emerging critics of different approaches to art criticism, and the roles of critics in contemporary society. Those involved in art-making will gain an idea of how artists and critics work as collaborators in pushing forward vision and discourse of the arts.
Joanna LEE Hoi Yin
Art editor, critic, and producer, Hong Kong Arts Development Council advisor (art critic group), assessor (arts administration, dance, and art critic groups). Her essays and reviews have been published in printed and online publications in HK, Macau, Taiwan and Germany. Recent research and publishing projects include:
- 2012 -2022: Hong Kong Visual Arts Yearbook published by Department of Fine Arts, The Chinese University of Hong Kong/ Editor
- The House of Hong Kong Literature O Square / Executive Editor
- HKADC “Oral History and Archives Project” / Researcher
- Hong Kong Dance Overview/ Editor and writer
- City Contemporary Dance Company Hong Kong Dance Oral History/ Researcher and writer of Unspoken Dance
- IATC Hong Kong art criticsdatabase / Advisor (dance/ visual arts)
10/1/2023 – 7/2/2023 (TUE)
7:30pm – 9:30pm